25 steps to keep your home secure
It has been 12 years since I had my house burgled and it still scared me to go out. I was at work and when I had returned home everything we had worked hard for was stolen, just like that. You can read my story here.
I Have since moved house 3 times and still get scared to go out when it gets dark just in case It happens again.
I wanted to put together some helpful tips to help keep your house and possessions secure and prevent this ever happening to you.
- Get security alarms
- Invest in Cctv camera’s
- Smart water your possessions.
- get a security light
- If you have a dog then they are good deterrents
- Leave the tv on when you go out
- Get a chain on your door and extra locks
- Do not advertise you are going out by checking in on Social media or telling anyone that doesn’t need to know.
- Keep windows and doors locked
- Double and triple check doors and windows
- Don’t leave valuable’s on show through windows
- Hide your passport/Id in your house somewhere no one would think to look.
- Do not leave your keys hanging near the door, a burglar could just use a rod to bring them through the letterbox. You are not insured if they get in this way.
- Do not leave your keys under the mat when you go out.
- Get contents insurance
- Don’t leave your calendar in view of a window, the burglar will be able to see when you are out.
- Join or start a neighbourhood watch
- Get a bolt and padlock for your gate, get 2 to be extra cautious
- Get trellis up on your fence
- Keep your bushes trimmed near your doors, burglars can use this to hide in whilst they are breaking in.
- Lock cat/dog flap when you go out.
- Alternate which light you leave in when you go out.
- Get someone to house sit so your house isn’t left empty whilst you are out.
- Use controlled timers.
- Get someone you trust to check in on your house and move your bins back if you are on holiday